Google

conservative by nature's favorite Quotes

These are some of my favorite quotes. Many come from my reading. I recently discovered the Arcamax history and quote page. You can subscribe as well. Think you have one I would like? Email me then! Claude Monet: "Everyone discusses my art and pretends to understand, as if it were necessary to understand, when it is simply necessary to love."

Name:
Location: United States

Favorite composer: Debussy; Favorite artist: Monet; Favorite old author: Charles Dickens

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Rutherford B. Hayes


19th President
Republican
(1822-1893)


He serves his party best who serves his country best.



It will be the duty of the Executive, with sufficient appropriations
for the purpose, to prosecute unsparingly all who have been engaged
in depriving citizens of the rights guaranteed to them by
the Constitution.

While still in the army the Cincinnati Republicans ran him for the House of Representatives. He accepted the nomination, but would not campaign,explaining, "an officer fit for duty who at this crisis would abandon
his post to electioneer... ought to be scalped."

Coming in, I was denounced as a fraud by all the extreme men of the
opposing party, and as an ingrate and a traitor by the same class of
men in my own party. Going out, I have the good will, blessings, and
approval of the best people of all parties . . .


{read his history here: White House Archives
Hayes's election depended upon contested electoral votes in Louisiana, South Carolina, and Florida. I suppose the democrats back then thought the election was stolen too.....I'll swannee, they never change.}


Top of Page

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home